Whether you’re a student or simply want to try living someplace new and exciting, moving to Australia is sure to be one of the most momentous events in your life. More than one-fourth of those who live here were born elsewhere, so you’ll certainly be in good company! There are lots of great reasons to move to Australia, but actually making it happen can feel pretty overwhelming. The following tips are sure to help:
- Arrange Temporary Accommodations – Regardless of whether you ultimately plan to rent or buy a home, it’s nice to have a place to stay immediately upon arriving. Serviced apartments are great because they are completely furnished, which comes in handy when waiting for your things to arrive.
- Find a Permanent Home – Renting tends to be more popular among those who relocate to Australia than buying. Before looking for a house to rent, obtain a reference letter or two. A letter from a previous landlord is best, but a personal reference works too.
- Consider a Flatshare – Many people choose to rent while they get used to life in Australia. Obtaining a flatshare is another excellent option to consider. As with renting an apartment or house, you will need reference letters. Also, four weeks’ deposit is typically required, and some landlords also require a month or two of rent in advance too.
- Stay Organized – Purchase a sturdy travel file and use it to store all the documentation you’ll need while relocating to Australia. Make sure to bring along certified copies of things like marriage licenses, birth certificates and the like. If possible, get electronic copies as well. Gather up you and your family’s medical and dental records. If you have children, get their immunization records as well.
- Learn the Culture – The best way to learn about the culture of a new place is simply by living there and immersing yourself in it. Australian lingo may seem confusing at first; bloke means man, sanger means sandwich and arvo means afternoon, for instance. Like the U.S., Australia is a cultural melting pot, and you will meet people from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe.
- Have Fun – As soon after arriving as possible, get out there and have fun! Australian cities are hotbeds of cultural attractions, with museums and the performing arts well represented. More than anything, though, Australia is famous for its amazing outdoor adventure opportunities, so journey to the coast, travel into the Outback and get to know the lay of the land. It’s sure to surprise you!
There’s much more to moving to Australia than what’s outlined above, but these tips should help make the experience as smooth and easy as can be!